Study Centre

Correct as of 01.09.2020 at 10:00 GMT

Local support information for current students

Question Answer
Is the University open or ISC/College open? In the light of the current situation within the UK, we have taken a decision to suspend classes at Keele University International Study Centre with all teaching and learning continuing online until further notice.

We will be sharing specific information with all students on how to use and access your learning online so please keep checking your emails and look out for this guidance.
What campus facilities are currently available? All teaching and learning has moved online. Only staff carrying out essential activities and students living on site should be on campus. We are still available to support you during this time, so please do continue to contact us should you require support.
Can I stay in my accommodation? Accommodation remains open, though we encourage all students to arrange travel home where possible, and that this should be the option of choice.
What is the current health advice in the UK? The official updates from the UK government provide the latest health advice and information on how to help prevent the spread of infection in the UK.

View the UK government’s information for the public on the coronavirus.
What should I do if I am in the UK and I feel unwell?

If you show the symptoms of COVID-19 then you should follow official UK medical advice which is found below, along with details about how to self-isolate. You should also contact your Study Centre for further information.

Stay at home for 14 days if you have either:

  • A high temperature
  • A new continuous cough
This will help to protect others in your community while you are infectious. Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. You do not need to contact NHS 111 to tell them you’re staying at home.

View the government’s advice on what to do if you are displaying symptoms of the coronavirus.
What support services are available to students that remain on campus? Although there will be no classes on campus, we are still available to support you during this time, and all essential services will still be provided. Should you wish to contact a member of the welfare team, student services or progression support staff you will need to email in the first instance.
Can I travel home? If you travel home, you will be able to continue your studies online from your home country.

Many countries have imposed travel restrictions and it is unlikely that you will be able to book travel at this time. You may wish to contact your Embassy or High Commission for advice on how to get home.

It is important that all students keep us updated on their location so that we are able to keep our records up-to-date and provide any support required.

Study information

Question Answer
Is my course available online? Yes, you can continue your studies online.

We will provide you with details about how to access your studies online and provide any technical support required.
How will you monitor my attendance? As teaching is moving to online learning, attendance will be monitored through engagement with online learning. More details will be provided by your tutors. Please continue to monitor emails for further information.
How can I complete my exams? No face-to-face assessments will take place while teaching and learning moves online, and we will advise on the plans for each specific programme of study in due course.

We will provide more guidance on assessments and exams relating to specific programmes of study in due course. These will be in line with approaches taken by our university partners and, as appropriate, with guidance that is due to be issued by the UK government’s Department for Education.
How will my visa be affected? If you have already started your programme and returned home to continue your studies online:

Tier 4 students are not normally permitted to undertake distance learning courses. However, due to the current exceptional circumstances, UK Visas and Immigration will permit you to continue your current studies online in the UK or overseas.

If you are unable to return home due to travel restrictions:
  • No individual who is in the UK legally, but whose visa is due to, or has already expired, and who cannot leave because of travel restrictions related to COVID-19, will be regarded as an over stayer, or suffer any detriment in the future.
  • A visa will be extended to 31 May 2020 if an individual cannot leave the UK because of travel restrictions or self-isolation related to coronavirus (COVID-19). Individuals must contact the Coronavirus Immigration Team email to advise of their situation. We are currently in close contact with UK Visas and Immigration (the UK visa authority) who are working to minimise the impact on students’ studies. We will issue guidance on this as soon as it becomes available.
If you have not travelled to the UK and plan to begin your studies online:

You do not require a visa, if you are not travelling to the UK. We are currently in close contact with UK Visas and Immigration (the UK visa authority) who are working to minimise the impact on students’ studies. We will issue guidance on this as soon as it becomes available.

If you have not travelled to the UK or started your programme:

If you have been issued a visa and decide not to travel, you must inform us so that we can update your visa status with UK Visas and Immigration.

If you wish to defer your studies, you would need to apply for a new visa as your current visa would not cover the full period of study for the next course. Deferring your studies will not impact any future visa application if you decide not to travel.

If the visa application is still pending an outcome, you should contact the visa application centre to withdraw your visa application.
I want to withdraw from my studies. What should I do? We are committed to working with every student on the options to continue studying with us. You will be encouraged to continue with your course, where possible, by online delivery to ensure you can still achieve your academic and career goals and progress to your chosen university degree, on time, from wherever you are in the world.

If, within 21 days of starting your course, you decide not to continue with your studies, you can select to defer your place to a future on-campus intake, or withdraw from your studies with a full refund. You should discuss any plans to withdraw from your studies with your tutor.

If you choose not to continue with your studies more than 21 days after your course has started, you have two options available:
  • You can choose to your defer your place and we will work with you to find an alternative study plan so you can begin your studies at the next available intake that offers on-campus teaching in your chosen study destination.
  • You can choose to withdraw from your studies, and our usual cancellation and refund policy will apply.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions page on our website for further information. If you do not wish to continue with your studies, please contact your College or Study Centre.
Will UK universities teach online for the whole academic year 2020/21? UK universities are currently teaching students online in accordance with public health guidelines and travel restrictions.

Although admissions processes and modes of teaching might look slightly different this year, the UK’s world-class universities are continuing to recruit international students even if they are unable to travel to the UK to meet usual timelines. Some universities might introduce later start dates than usual for this coming academic year, and others may start high quality teaching online initially, with in-person teaching resuming later.

Universities are agreed that they wish to open their teaching to students in person as soon as it is safe and manageable to do so.

We will continue to provide high quality teaching and student support online so that you can continue your pathway to academic success until we are able to welcome you to study on campus. We will keep you informed and provide support throughout your online studies so that you are fully prepared when it’s time for you to transition to studying on campus.

Additional Information

Where should I go if I have further questions?

For enquiries related to students who are already at the Study Centre, please contact the Centre. Please send all other enquiries to