Keele University

What is the Pre-master's?

The Pre-master's programme is designed to meet the needs of international students. You will be taught English language, academic subjects and study skills to help you prepare for studying a postgraduate degree at Keele University.

Choose your subject route:

Structure and length

The Pre-master's is a two-term programme. You will study a combination of core and subject-specific modules that focus on academic areas most useful to your chosen degree.


To ensure you make good progress and achieve the results you need, we’ll give you regular assessments. These include coursework, unseen written exams, presentations, extended essays and case studies.

Progress to your Master's

When you receive confirmation of your place to study at the International Study Centre, you will receive a conditional offer of a place on one of the specified master’s degrees at the university. Once you successfully complete the programme, and achieve the required grades, you will join your chosen master’s degree.

Study plan options

Overall IELTS Length Oct Dec Jan Mar Apr Aug Sep
5.5 2 terms           Start your master's degree
5 3 terms        
4.5 4 terms    

 English for Pre-master's (October or January start)
   Pre-master's (April start)
   Start your master's degree (in September)

Please note that not all intakes may be available for all subject routes.

Combined Visa

Save time and money, and experience a seamless transition to postgraduate success, by studying our Pre-Master’s and Master’s course with one visa.

Doing this means you will benefit from:

  • Just one visa required for the whole length of your study
  • Over 30 alternatives to IELTS accepted as proof of student’s English language level*
  • Allows you to work up to 20 hours per week enhancing CV and graduate prospects
  • Suitable for students who have previously studied academic subjects in the UK
  • Gives you the opportunity to travel and explore the UK between courses

*The English for Pre-master’s course is not covered by the Combined Visa. You will need to apply for a separate visa to cover this part of your studies.